Amid Tough Restrictions, I-Day Passes Off Peacefully In Kashmir

Amid Tough Restrictions, I-Day Passes Off Peacefully In Kashmir


Mobile Internet Snapped For Several Hours, Restored Later

Srinagar, Aug 15: Normal life across the length and breadth of the Kashmir Valley was severely affected on Saturday amid tough restrictions by the authorities and snapping of mobile internet services.

While the day, marking the 74th Independence Day, passed off peacefully, the authorities had beefed-up security across the Valley, more so in Srinagar following fatal attack by militants near Nowgam in which two policemen were killed and other injured on August 14.

Reports said that all the roads leading to the main venue, Sher-e-Kashmir Stadium here, remained sealed amid heavy tightened security arrangements which include use of drones and CCTV fitted vehicles to keep a close vigil on suspect movement.

Lieutenant Governor Manoj Sinha unfurled the tri-colour and addressed a gathering there, they said.

Reports said the authorities had imposed tight restrictions in most of the downtown areas to prevent any untoward incident. Mobile internet services were snapped across Kashmir on all networks as a “precautionary measure” for several hours before restored at around 12 noon.

Reports said that all the commercial establishments including shops remained shut for the day as city centre Lal Chowk wore a deserted Look. They said that only security forces’ vehicles could be spotted plying on the roads.

“Since early morning, dozens of security forces and VIP vehicles could be seen plying on Lal Chowk and its adjoining roads to reach the SK Stadium Sonwar to attend the official function of I-day.”

While there are already restrictions on account of covid-19, they said, people stayed indoors for most part of the day. “There was some public movement after late afternoon,” they added.

Reports from various district headquarters said that the normal life remained crippled as tough restrictions remained in place for

A senior police officer said that the police had made elaborate arrangements to ensure incident-free August 15 functions across the Kashmir. “The day passed off peacefully,” the officer said. (GNS)


Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *


Tripartite Dialogue Over Kashmir: Only Way Out

Dr. Moeed Yusuf, Special Advisor to Prime Minister of Pakistan on National Security and Strategic Policy disclosed in an interview with Karan Thapar that India sent us a message for a desire to a conversation. He added that Pakistan stands for conversation that moves us forward. He however emphasized that there are three parties to […]