The UN human rights chief on Wednesday termed Saudi Arabia’s mass executions of 37 men “shocking” and “abhorrent”, Al-Jazeera reported.
Saudi Arabia’s interior ministry said on Tuesday it beheaded dozens of its citizens over terrorism-related crimes, publicly pinning two of the bodies to a pole as a warning to others.
“I strongly condemn these shocking mass executions across six cities in Saudi Arabia yesterday,” UN High Commissioner for Human Rights Michelle Bachelet said in a statement.
“It is particularly abhorrent that at least three of those killed were minors at the time of their sentencing,” she added.
The men had been convicted of charges including attacking security installations with explosives, killing a number of security officers, and cooperating with “enemy organisations” against the interests of the country.